Tax Attorneys   |   Tax Relief   |   Tax Attorney   |   Tax Relief Attorney   |   Relief Tax   |   Tax Relief
Home  >  Tax Articles  >  Tax Penalty Abatements: What Are They and How Do You Qualify for One?

Tax Penalty Abatements: What Are They and How Do You Qualify for One?

When you have been unable to pay your taxes in the full amount or in a timely manner, it’s very possible that the IRS will charge you penalties that can make paying your taxes in full extremely difficult. As the taxes increasingly mount, it may feel like you are in over your head and have no options; however, in certain cases, if you can prove you were facing hardship, you may be eligible to receive penalty abatement.

At the Tax Relief Law Center, our qualified tax relief specialists understand how overwhelming facing action from the IRS can be. To get help from an experienced attorney who is ready to help you through this difficult time, fill out the contact form at the top of this page.

The Ins and Outs of Penalty Abatements

Penalty abatement allows you to only pay back the initial taxes owed and dismisses any of the subsequent monetary penalties that have accumulated. Getting penalty abatement can be a complicated process and extremely difficult because it requires you to prove without a doubt that you were facing extreme hardship and/or are not responsible for the incurred penalties. People who are usually approved for penalty abatement typically have extenuating circumstances, such as:

  • Major family disturbances (i.e. divorce, death in the family)
  • Major and costly illness or injury
  • Natural disaster
  • Poor tax advice
  • Theft
  • Being unemployed for a long period of time

These circumstances are not an extensive list of ways you may qualify for penalty abatement, so if you believe you are qualified, you should seek the advice of an experienced tax attorney.

Contact Us

Our tax attorneys at the Tax Relief Law Center have the knowledge and experience necessary to help you seek the tax relief you need. Contact one of our representatives by filling out the form at the top of this page.