Tax Attorneys   |   Tax Relief   |   Tax Attorney   |   Tax Relief Attorney   |   Relief Tax   |   Tax Relief
Home  >  Tax Articles  >  Consent for Property Seizure by the IRS

Consent for Property Seizure by the IRS

When you are delinquent in your IRS payments or unable to make full payment, the IRS will likely seek payment through a variety of avenues, including property seizure. This can be frightening, especially if you are under the impression that your property can be taken at any time. However, it may relieve you to know that, if your property is located in a private area, the officer seizing your property must try to obtain your consent to enter the premises before seizing the property.

There are several reasons why you may have been unable to pay your taxes and are now facing IRS action. No matter what the reason is, our tax relief lawyers at the Tax Relief Law Center are prepared to help you. Get in touch with one of our attorneys by filling out the form at the top of this page.

What Must Be Done to Secure Consent

When the IRS is seizing your property in order to obtain payment for overdue taxes and debts, they must provide a notification of seizure and obtain your permission if the property is on private premises. When securing your consent, you will be told the following:

  • The officer seizing the property must have written consent to do so
  • You can deny consent, but if you do so, a Writ of Entry will likely come next
  • Your permission is needed only to enter the premises, not to seize the property
  • Any public area can be entered without consent

If the IRS is threatening to seize your property, there may be alternative options that you are not aware of. Before allowing the IRS to take your hard-earned property, you should consult an experienced tax attorney to discuss all of the legal avenues that might be available to you.

Contact Us

If you are facing having your property seized or any other actions by the IRS, it is possible that our skilled tax relief specialists at the Tax Relief Law Center can help you protect your property and get back on the path to financial security. Contact one of our experienced attorneys by filling out the contact form at the top of this page.